29 June 2008

He Says, Louisville Slugger Propaganda Museum

This morning we packed up our camping gear and headed for the Louisville Slugger Museum (with a quick stop at Waffle House for covered, peppered hash browns). The waitress called me "Big Guy"--congenially, Courtney said. I ordered a Diet Coke.

When the doors finally opened at noon, it was packed, so we started in the gift shop. Courtney decided it was absolutely essential that I get a bat with my signature on it; it took me 27 attempts to sign my name in a manner befitting Slugger immortality. There were the requisite busts of baseball heroes with quotes, pertinent facts in the history of the Louisville Slugger Company, and a walk-through of the bat-making process. There was a propaganda movie (at least it stars Derek Jeter) and an exhibit of baseballs signed by presidents.

However, lets get real. These were the three highlights:

1. Posing with Casey Stengel and Mickey Mantle for a photo-op in the dugout.

2. What I call the "60' 6" Exhibit" where you get to see (or more accurately, not see) what a 90 mile an hour fastball looks like from a batter's perspective.

3. The batting cages. Man did I show the stuff that makes me a couch-riding all-star. Using wooden bats without gloves, I ripped some serious foul balls (and a few scorching liners). By far the coolest part of the LSM experience.

I love baseball. I hate museums. Even museums that show how baseball bats are made. While it is probably a requisite for all true baseball fans, I would suggest taking the $9.00 and heading over to Louisville Slugger Field to see a Bats game.

Or put the $9.00 towards gas and head to Cooperstown.

No comments: